Friday, March 5, 2010

Bruce Lee, Motherfucker! (Part 1)

"The Nature of parties has been imperfectly studied. It is, however, generally understood that a party has a pathology, that it is a kind of an individual and that it is likely to be a very perverse individual. And it is also generally understood that a party hardly ever goes the way it is planned or intended. This last, of course, excludes those dismal slave parties, whipped and controlled and dominated...These are not parties at all but acts and demonstrations, about as spontaneous as peristalsis..." –John Steinbeck, Cannery Row


I think I was the only one still up and not having sex by this point, and that made me mad. It was cresting 4 AM, my girlfriend was passed out on a love seat after a night of too much Vlad, and I was going stir-crazy. It wasn’t that I hadn’t been drinking, but that I’d gotten to the point where I was too amped up from dancing around and yelling at people that I couldn’t sit down and take a nap. So I made another cocktail, a little Captain and Kool Aid (I suggest you never drink this...never ever...) and waltzed up and down the stairs a few times attempting to work out my excitement. I tried to wake people up, but when I’d kick them in the ribs, they’d just start bitching and moaning about how drunk or tired they were. The most common response: “Fuck off, man. I’m trying to sleep.”


On my final dive down the stairs, I decided to go wake up some good friends. My best buddy Brenton’s bedroom was in the basement, and I heard sounds coming out of there. Needless to say, I put my ear up to that bad boy and had a quick listen.


“Yeah, I’m on the pill. It’s okay.”


“Alright.”


“Uhhh...oh...oh, uhhh...” a girl moaned.


“Good shit,” I whispered to myself, an ear-to-ear grin spreading across my face. After drinking for probably close to six hours, liquid courage got the better of me. I decided that I was going to bust down the fucking door and show those kids who was boss. For the second (or third?) time that night, I felt beyond invincible.


“BRUCE LEE, MOTHERFUCKER!!!” I screamed as I high-kicked Brenton’s door wide open. I didn’t know who he was with, so I figured I’d just mess with him for a minute before he had to get up and throw me out of the room using physical force.


“Dude, what the hell? Get the fuck out of here!” he yelled at me, bare-assed, mounting some girl. She was remarkably silent for the moment—and then I saw her face.


“Oh, Christ. Brenton, what are you doing?” It was not the person I expected—I should’ve seen it coming based on the events of the night, but the two of them boning knocked me back a step. He got up and slammed the door in my face which came inches from breaking my nose. Then I cracked up. The next morning was going to be the worst (or the funniest) of many people’s lives.


***


Everyone remembers their first beer, although my first brew was actually four glasses of wine with my parents in a ritzy fusion joint somewhere in California. The waiter just came over with my parents’ wine, poured them two glasses and then proceeded to fill mine. Before I could say “I’m only 15!” my dad slapped my hand and grinned at the sommelier. A few drinks later, after digesting the best Carpaccio (among other things) I ever had, I was feeling toasty warm and blathering about early American history to my parents as my dad, in a rented Volvo, tried to navigate through an unfamiliar city.

Of course everyone remembers the first time they got drunk. My first time was the summer after my sophomore year in high school, so I guess you could consider me a bit of a slow starter. I went over to my buddy’s place after work one day and we just started bombing shots.

“Well, here you go, bro. It’s all hard, so I’ll fill you up a shot,” a scruffy guy two or three years my senior yelled a few seconds after I came through the door.

At the time, I was pretty worried, even though I’d had my share of beers before, all stolen out of my downstairs refrigerator in the storage room. The only time I’d really seen hard-A was in my dad’s scotch glass at a restaurant. Your first shot of vodka is something completely different from your first Rolling Rock. I figured that this moment was going to lead me to a life of alcohol dependency (okay, fine, that’s ridiculous, but they brainwash you in high school) or worse, to a naked lap outside or a trip to the emergency room to get my stomach pumped. My hand trembling, I held it up to my lips, and drank down half of it, feeling the burn in my throat, esophagus and stomach as it swam through my digestive tract. I waited a couple of seconds and finished the rest, grinning.

“Come on, man. You’re better than that. Here you go,” the kid laughed as he put another shot in my hand. I took this one down quickly, feeling a doubly worse fire surge through my body.

“Whoooo!” I yelled, slamming the small glass down on the counter like Stiffler would’ve in one of those American Pie movies.

“This your first time?” one of the other kids I worked with asked.

“Yeah, for this kinda shit, yeah, it is. Can I just get a beer?”

Two of the older guys there started cracking up, and a couple of girls made sideways glances at me like I just asked for a Diet Coke. “Well, fuck it, I can do another one of those,” I said. We all filled shot glasses up and toasted to a great summer. That event seems ironic, because if, in college (or after) I’d ever asked for another shot of Raspberry Smirnoff instead of another beer, I would’ve gotten booted out of my own house.

We didn’t get out-of-our-mind drunk that night, but I tried to do my share, mixing up some of the most god-awful cocktails I ever made. I do not recommend my 11th grade special though—raspberry and green apple vodkas mixed with orange soda. It was like a diabetic’s worst nightmare.

And if you remember your first time getting drunk, you’ll also be able to look back fondly on the first time you got drunk with all of your best friends and the whole thing went completely to hell. For some people, their first time getting sloshed was like this. Mine wasn’t—by comparison, my first night of drinking was laid back. Everything was mellow, no one acted dumb. I think I might have even slept in a bed that night.

The true, batshit-crazy party moment for most people consists of:
1. About four kids puking (bonus points if someone has to get rushed to the ER)
2. Someone passing out in the bathroom (bonus points if two or three people pass out in different bathrooms; even more bonus points if two people pass out together in the same bathroom)
3. Two or three of your friends losing their virginities (bonus points if it’s with the person passed out in the bathroom)
4. Shit getting broken (by accident or on purpose, bonus points for irreplaceable antiques or works of art)
5. Someone getting naked in front of everyone (bonus points if it’s outside, during the winter)
6. A 4 AM house call from the cops to tell you that Ms. Estelle Waters from next door hasn’t been able to get to bed even after taking 7 Ambien CRs (bonus points if the cops come in and have a drink, or if you go to Estelle’s house and bring her sleeping pills to your party).

Regardless, our disaster night was after some semi-formal dance during my junior year of high school. Brenton and I had been planning this thing for a couple of weeks. Parents out of town. Sister said she’d buy us a lot of liquor. Lots of reasonably attractive girls who could do maybe two shots. In theory, it sounded like heaven.

My girlfriend and I left the dance early to get over to Brenton’s house for the festivities. After making out in the car for about forty minutes until Brenton’s sister came out to yell at us for leaving the headlights shining through a neighbor’s window, we walked inside and started making drinks. The kitchen looked like a palace (i.e. a liquor store)—bottles of Vlad, Banker’s Club Gin, Captain Morgan, magnums of pinot grigio, and bottles of Tortilla Gold tequila were strewn all over the place. For a party with maybe 15 or 20 high school juniors, half of them girls, it was enough to put most of the people there in something resembling a coma.

Since my girlfrined got drunk like four times in her life, she obviously thought she could handle half a Solo cup full of Vlad mixed with red Gatorade, no ice. I grimaced at her cocktail choice and decided to stick with a standby, a Captain and Coke. More people were arriving, so I started chatting with everyone, meeting people’s girlfriends, challenging people to drinking contests, etc. Before I could look again, my girlfriend was back at the punch bowl pouring another vomit-before-midnight special. Ray, a guy I’d call a temperate friend, started giving me shit almost immediately.

“Your girlfriend’s gonna be really drunk man, you need to do something,” he said to me in the kindest, least condescending way possible.

“Ehhh, I doubt it, man. I think she got drunk in like ninth grade for the first time. She probably has a good tolerance,” I said tongue-in-cheek.

“Really? Oh, wow, I didn’t know that,” he said, seemingly taking this statement seriously.

“Yeah, well, I just found out. When I told her to take it a little easier, she just barked that back at me. I mean, we’ll see, I think it’ll be cool.” I assumed she’d be bombed in about 45 minutes.

“Dude, she’s still wearing her dress from the dance, but has her jeans on under it. Are you sure?” he laughed. “But, in her defense, she’s a good dancer.”

Scratch that—she’ll be shot before 11:00.

“Goddamn it.”

My expert prediction about shit being “cool” at first was as correct as the one about that Y2K scare bringing the world to a cataclysmic end. The next thing I know, it’s only 11:20 and I’m getting screamed at by three girls who, at that time, were complete strangers. I was just having a nice conversation with a couple of friends, when all of a sudden...

“Get your ass in here,” Tina screamed. “Your girlfriend is sick and all you can do is sit around and talk to your friends. No, it’s okay, just go make another drink.” Though Tina is now a good friend of mine, I thought she was mighty intimidating right then. Imagine meeting someone for the second time only to realize she’s an Ethel Merman-sound-a-like with a bone to pick.

“I’m only on my first...no wait, second...” I wasn’t taking anything she said seriously, and commenced giggling with a couple of the kids around me to piss her off. Whatever, I figured. She’ll probably just give up and leave me alone. How bad could things really be?

“This is your girlfriend, get in here and take care of her. This isn’t funny. Something really bad could happen. You know, people die from this!” She was being wildly overdramatic, I thought. If everyone remembers their first beer and their first drunk, then they remember the first time they did too many shots and spent a night chained to the toilet. And they also remember that they got through it fine, albeit with a blinding headache the next day.

After being verbally assaulted for a couple of minutes, I sauntered down the hall and opened the door to Brenton’s sister’s room only to find her already sloshed over a bucket generally used for mopping floors. One of Tina’s insanely annoying friends was holding her hair back and giving me dirty looks. I took a step back—things were a lot worse than I’d initially thought. Maybe Ethel Merman had a point.

“Didn’t you pay attention to what she was drinking?” bitched hair-holding girl.

“What, are you kidding? What am I here, the fuckin’ babysitter? Shit, I’ve only ever drank a couple times...” I was searching for the right thing to say, my mind feeling fractured. The alcohol was making me giddy and weird, but there were blips of rationality pulling through to keep me in place, seeming to tell me, “You need to take care of this situation. It’s the right thing to do.”

So I tried to take care of things, but I ended up looking like a full-on ass nugget. My girlfriend started apologizing profusely to me, having stopped the scene she was putting on when I barged into the room. She was sort of listing to and fro like a sailboat in high tide, and probably enduring the spins that eventually get so bad the room doesn’t go ‘round in circles, but upward and downward making you feel like you stared at a slot machine for a few too many hours.

“Jesus, are you alright?” I stammered. I’d never seen anyone go half-catatonic on two Vlad and Gatorades. Maybe Tina was right—maybe we were gonna have to make an ER run tonight, though God knows who would’ve take the wheel for that ride.

The rational part of my brain wasn’t speaking so loudly anymore, and for every second I stood there, I was thinking “Shit, this sucks ass, man, having to take care of drunk people only an hour into the night. If this was a dude, we’d just let him puke in peace and check on him once in awhile to make sure he didn’t fall over and get a concussion. But, noooo, we’ve gotta stand watch here with four people.” As I turned to leave, rationality made a comeback.

“I’m here for you,” I said, sounding only moderately convincing.

Then, Captain Morgan reared his head. Even though I was only mildly buzzed, I heard the 20 or so people outside, having fun, some dude playing an atrocious rendition of a Beethoven symphony on the piano, guys passing around a bottle Pinot Grigio like a canteen. “Just get out now, things will be fine,” my drunk thoughts spoke. “DO ANOTHER SHOT! IT’S A PARTY!”

She fell asleep about two seconds after I said that, but Tina and the girl holding her hair back had me in a hostage situation, not saying anything. They were watching my every move with mean little eyes. One of the girls was on the other side of my girlfriend, Tina was by the door, and someone else pranced in to give me the hairy eyeball. Going to have an outburst in 3...2...1...

“What?!” I yelled. “It’s not like I had this in mind, man.” I slurped the last couple of sips out of my Solo.

“Whatever,” Tina said, rolling her eyes and stomping out. As soon as she left guard duty, I got the fuck out of that room to rejoin the party. About an hour had passed and I felt like I probably had a lot of catching up to do. I joined Brenton and Ray for a shot of tequila in the kitchen.

My ex-girlfriend Stace (we were still good friends, somehow) was at the party too, and had shown up there with Brenton after her boyfriend refused to take her to this dance. Stace and I were still pretty close, so she was confiding in me about her not-so-secret crush on Brenton and whining about her boyfriend.

“I mean, Brenton’s like so sweet. Todd’s just such a...you know, he just doesn’t treat me like his girlfriend. Like he thought he could just say, ‘No Stace, I won’t take you to the dance,’ since he’s hanging out, playing cards,” she said, slugging a vodka-tonic and encouraging me to pour another drink. “But, like, I fucking called Todd’s bluff and went with Brenton. He’s just like the nicest guy.”*

“Yes, Stace, Brenton and I have been best friends since 7th grade. He’s good people. But, you sure this is gonna be a good idea? We’re all drinking and—well, you know.”

“I know, I know, it might not be the best idea. Nothing’s going to happen though, you know that,” she said smiling playfully at me, putting her head on my shoulder. “Brenton’s just the nicest guy.”

“Yeah, I mean...”

“He’s sooo cute, too!”

Glenn Beck repeats fewer talking points than Stace when she’s got Smirnoff coursing through her veins, but she’s cool. Fun to drink with, not a total pain in the ass, and not throwing up in a trashcan, bucket, or toilet.

But something quickly broke up this semblance of a conversation. As I opened my mouth to make a snide comment to Stace, somebody, completely red in the face, raced up and started giggling like a schoolgirl. Here we were, not even two hours into this soiree, and this kid’s screaming: “Dude, Hammond’s passed out in the fucking bathroom wasted. You gotta check this out! He’s totally shot!”

I checked it out and started giggling too. I was more sober than anyone in the joint save the two guys who weren’t drinking; but Hammond was indeed napping in the bathroom, headphones on (guesses on the music choice?), spooning with the crapper. His glasses were half falling into the toilet. It was a sight to behold, especially because he hadn’t thrown up, but just chose the bathroom as the most suitable place to catch a few quiet hours of sleep.

Stace came in and started grabbing my ass for absolutely no reason.

“This is horrible. Your girlfriend and some other girl are already passed out, too.”

“I’m aware of this. I think they went a little too hard right in the beginning. Vlad and Gatorade almost never leads to a long night.”

“Well...I mean...”

“Look, he’s just hanging out there. Not doing anything. I think he’ll be fine. Gotta go, Stace.”

After I ran to the kitchen to stir up another bev, I came back into the master bedroom for what appeared to be a dance party, a frequent occurrence at every gathering we had for the next year and a half. Hammond was passed out in the bathroom a few feet from the bedroom, but kids were dancing around to Duran Duran, and Bon Jovi, not giving a shit that some guests were already down for the count. Woah....oh, livin’ on a prayer! chants filled the room. No one was really dancing, but just jumping and spinning around, grinding on whatever girl or guy got closest to them. It was a pre-school party that’d gone awry because someone put Benzedrine in the fruit punch.

After a half hour of this, Stace started grabbing my ass again and pulling me toward the king-sized bed. When I looked around, everyone had pretty much filtered out, leaving “Jessie’s Girl” blasting through a laptop. How the hell did I miss the disappearance of, uhm, everyone? I thought to myself. And now...Before I even completed the thought, Stace was kissing me. I knew from the get-go this was a bad idea, but I just went with it. I guess since we dated at one point, it didn’t feel like that big of a deal. It was. What a supremely dumb move, I thought to myself a few days later as I tried to explain myself. But that rational part of my mind, which served me reasonably well an hour or so earlier, had now all but flicked off. The warmth of the alcohol took hold.

Jessie is a friend, yeah I know he’s been a good friend of mine...

As we were getting after it, feeding each other typical ‘you’re such a good kisser’ lines, clarity all of a sudden flashed through my body: “Wait, fuck, what the hell are we doing? This is dumb, really dumb.”

“I know, but it’s just like, whatever, she’s not your type.”

You know I wish that I had Jessie’s Girl [...killer synth riff...]

“Oh Jesus. Okay, one that’s not true, and two, we need to get out of here. And, fuck, three, you have a boyfriend. And a date tonight. And, uh, fiv...I mean four, they’re both good friends of mine. Holy shit, let’s just go do a shot.”

Where can I find a woman like that?

I got up from the bed figuring we could sneak out of the room only to run into the holding-back-the-hair girl right inside the doorway, voyeuring in on our sesh.

I play along with the charade...

“What are you doing?” she inquired, flicking her hair near my face.

“None of your business!”

“I just saw you—“

“No, you’re mistaken. We were just listening to Rick Springfield.” I bolted out of the room, mixed up another drink in the kitchen, and heard people playing piano.

This kid I sort of knew, Keeley, had started playing some Billy Joel tune, probably “Piano Man” or “New York State of Mind.” Kroger joined him on the bench, and “the girl everyone hooked up with,” Erica (everyone) had started hitting on both of them. She was sitting in between them on the piano bench, trying to make out with Kroger, and then started licking Keeley’s ear when Kroger just ignored her. The mini-concerto kept up like that for a bit longer as they tried not to notice her. If time allowed, and they didn’t know “Free Bird” (whenever someone plays music at a party, there’ll always be one guy who yells this out) I was going to make this request from side two of Piano Man:

In the morning there’ll be hell to pay/Somewhere along the line.**

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I showed Todd, a buddy of mine and Kroger, this thing and he wasn’t a huge fan. For most of the humor, you had to be there. His only response: “Well, that’s a time in my life I’d rather not have to live through again.” Incidentally, he and Stace got back together, broke up, and ‘got back together’ a few other times in the next year or two.


**”Somewhere Along the Line” is easily the best cut on Piano Man, rivaled only by “Traveling Prayer” and “The Ballad of Billy the Kid” (and perhaps “Stop in Nevada”). Also, if you know any kid who “sort-of” plays piano, chances are the only tunes they know by Billy Joel are “Piano Man” and “New York State of Mind” and maybe...just maybe, “Only the Good Die Young.”


No comments:

Post a Comment